There’s nothing worse than that sinking feeling in your chest when you realize that you’ve locked yourself out of your car. Or maybe you’ve lost your car key and have almost driven yourself crazy by searching everywhere for it. Below are a few auto locksmith tips to help get you in the right direction in Omaha, NE.
Auto Locksmith Tips in Omaha, NE
- Even if you have an electronic key, try opening your car manually every now and then to make sure it’s working correctly. By testing to see if the key is operating properly, you eliminate the chances of getting locked out because of a low battery.
- Lock Doors with your Key or Remote
- Store Your Information – The tag that comes with new car keys has the key code on it. It can tell your locksmith the correct key your car.
- Duplicate Car Keys – One of the best ways to avoid finding yourself stranded after losing your car keys is to think ahead and get a spare key made.
- Bring Spare Keys with You – Keep spare keys in the places where you are most often – your house and your workplace. Consider giving a close friend a spare key, this could be a lifesaver.
What is a Chip Key?
Almost every car comes with a transponder key today. Almost all new cars on the road today come with some type of transponder key. These transponder chips were designed specifically to prevent individuals from forcing the lock, using shaved keys, and using keys that were duplicated without owner authorization.
- A Transponder Chip disarms a vehicle immobilizer when the car key is used to start the engine. The majority of keys to cars built after 1995 contain transponder chips.
- When the car key is turned in the ignition, the engine control unit (ECU) on the car sends an electronic message to the key, and it will allow the car to start only provided it receives the correct message back. So, even for a simple car key without any buttons, the key must be cut correctly to turn the locks, and also programmed correctly to disarm the immobilizer. Car keys with chips can be programmed using special programmers.
- Transponder Keys are different from automotive remotes that are used to unlock and lock your vehicle; some transponder keys are built inside of your keys (in a component called remote key heads) while others are placed separately.
- A Proximity Key is a small fob that allows for a key-less entry and ignition system. The fob communicates via radio waves with your car to lock and unlock doors and start the engine when within the acceptable range.
- Modern vehicle doors and trunks still operate with standard locking mechanisms, however. You do not need a transponder key to access the interior of a vehicle or the trunk. If you are concerned about being locked out of your cars, take your keys to a locksmith and have him or her cut new keys that will enable access to the car, but not the ignition.
Carl Jarl Locksmiths | Locksmith Omaha
Always use the services of a trusted local Locksmith/Home Security Company. Carl Jarl Locksmiths offers products and services to make your home safe and secure. Your Security is our top priority.
Choose experience and peace of mind. Carl Jarl Locksmith’s prompt and dependable Locksmith service is just a phone call away.
We have been providing full service locksmith and security services to the Omaha community since 1892, and are the #1 choice for your security needs. We realize that trust, honesty and quality service build long lasting relationships. At Carl Jarl Locksmiths, we take our responsibility seriously and understand that security issues are very personal. Your Security is our Business. Contact Carl Jarl Locksmiths