The Holiday Season is time of opportunity to burglarize your home for cash, credit cards, and all the new gifts of small electronics, computers, jewelry, and easily sold valuables. The FBI reports “nearly 400,000 burglaries occur during November and December alone.”1.6 million reported residential burglaries. About 300,000 of those were home invasions, which means one or more household members were present at the time of a break-in, and became victims in violent crimes.
Things To Do When Traveling During The Holiday Season to Secure you Home
Have your home security evaluated. One of our residential locksmith technicians can come out to your home and evaluate the security grade of your locks as well as suggest any changes or improvements you may want to make. Our technicians are able to assist you with installing safes in your home to keep valuables secure while you are away during the holiday season. We also have locksmith technicians who specialize in home security and surveillance that can come out to install a closed-circuit television system in your home.
Install a home security system and turn it on when you leave. 20 percent of homeowners with an alarm system who were surveyed don’t activate it during the day, even though that’s when most thefts occur.
A standard home security alarm is often a good fit for most households. These systems generally include sensors on all the entry doors, some motion activated outdoor lighting, sensors on windows that are particularly easy to access, and, most importantly, a direct link to a monitoring service. This type of security alarm system will be an excellent deterrent for any would be intruders, and is fairly easy for a family to adapt to.
Simple Security Tips
- Make it look like someone is always home – Leave your lights on a timer so at night it will appear that your home is occupied. Leave a vehicle parked in your driveway to make thieves think someone is home. Have a trusted friend or neighbor pick up your mail, or put hold on your mail with the post office.
- Do not post travel plans on social media. While it may be exciting to share your plans with friends, other people see your trip as a chance to burglarize your home.
- Don’t post pictures of expensive gifts you received online!
- Unplug your garage door openers – Some thieves will attempt to open the garage door with a universal garage door opener remote. Unplug your garage door opener before departing and make sure you lock your garage door if you operate it manually.
More Security Tips
- All doors should have a peep-hole or camera to identify people before opening the door.
- Firearms and important documents should be locked in a quality safe.. The safe should be bolted down to prevent theft of the entire safe during a break-in.
- Consider adding a security alarm system that communicates with an alarm monitoring center..
- Surveillance cameras are becoming easier to install and more affordable. Consider adding a system because they are excellent deterrents and can help identify an intruder.
- Review your insurance coverage with your insurance agent to make sure you are protected for all of the valuables in your home.
- Take video or pictures of all of your personal property, jewelry, firearms and other valuables. Keep this DVD, CD, or flash drive in a safe, or in a safe deposit box.
- Mark your property with your name to identify your goods if they are recovered later.
Carl Jarl Locksmiths | Omaha Locksmith Services
Always use the services of a trusted local Locksmith/Home Security Company. Carl Jarl Locksmiths offers products and services to make your home safe and secure. Your Security is our top priority.
Choose experience and peace of mind. Carl Jarl Locksmith’s prompt and dependable Locksmith service is just a phone call away.
We have been providing full service locksmith and security services to the Omaha community since 1892, and are the #1 choice for your security needs. We realize that trust, honesty and quality service build long lasting relationships. At Carl Jarl Locksmiths, we take our responsibility seriously and understand that security issues are very personal. Your Security is our Business. Contact Carl Jarl Locksmiths