AROUND 2 MILLION incidents of burglary occur every year in Omaha. Of these, around 60% involve forcible entry and 60% are considered residential burglaries. Most of them occur in broad daylight- between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Check out the Omaha Crime report below for Home Security Tips from Carl Jarl Locksmiths in Omaha.
Home Security Tips from Carl Jarl Locksmiths in Omaha
- Of course I look familiar, I was here last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your newspaper.
- Thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.
- Those nice yard toys your kids leave out make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
- I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.
- If glass is part of your front entrance, don’t let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if the alarm is set.
- If you don’t alarm your windows, install motion detectors in the rooms I might enter, including the master bedroom where you usually keep your jewelry and home safe.
- Don’t forget to lock your doors and turn on your alarm when you go out in bad weather. I work on those days too.
- I don’t understand why you would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it.
- Always knock first. If you answer, I’ll ask for directions or offer to clean your windows. But don’t open the door or take me up on it. If you don’t answer I’ll try the door. Occasionally I hit the jackpot and walk right in.
- Do you really think I won’t look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet. But I almost never go into kids’ rooms.
- Won’t have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But I’ll take it with me if it’s not bolted down.
- A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you don’t want to leave one on while you’re out of town, use a timer that turns it on when you usually watch or listen to it.
- Sometimes I carry a clipboard. Sometimes I dress like a lawn guy. I do my best not to look like a burglar.
- The two things I hate most are loud dogs and nosy neighbors.
- I’ll break a window to get in even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears a loud sound he’ll stop what he’s doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn’t hear it again he’ll just go back to what he was doing. It’s human nature.
- Love looking in your windows. I’m looking for signs that you’re home and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I like. I’ll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night before you close the blinds just to pick my targets.
- A window open a little to let in fresh air during the day is an invitation for me to come in. If you do that put something in the track that prevents someone from opening it wide enough to get through.
AND More Home Security Tips from Carl Jarl Locksmiths in Omaha
Social Media. As tempting as it is to brag about your upcoming vacation on social media websites, don’t do it. Social media is not nearly as secure as most people assume it is. And in fact, it’s now a great source of information for burglars looking for easy houses to hit. Keep your vacation plans to yourself until you have arrived home. Then feel free to post all the pictures and stories you want.We know your home is special to you. That’s why Carl Jarl Group offers the right combination of equipment and features to fit your needs and your budget.
We know your home is special to you. That’s why Carl Jarl Locksmiths in Omaha offers the right combination of equipment and features to fit your needs and your budget.
- Protective Measures – Locks
- Re-key or change all locks when moving into a new home.
- Go to a locksmith for advice on locks.
- Install single cylinder dead-bolt locks on all doors.
- Locking devices on all sliding glass doors and windows.
- Install good locks all doors that lead outside through garages or storage areas.
- Don’t rely on chain locks for security. They’re only good for privacy.
- Locks on gates, garages, sheds, etc.
- All locks should be resistant to “bumping”
- Reinforce the glass in windows on the lock sides of doors so a burglar cannot break them and reach in to open the door.
- Consider installing security bars on side, rear, or other windows that a burglar might break to enter your home.
- Fence in the yard.
- A good yard gate and keep it locked at all times. .
- Plant bushes with thorns or prickly leaves near windows and along fences.
- Trim trees so that limbs don’t provide access to roofs, second stories, etc.
- Deterrent Measures -Be Proactive
- Put Neighborhood Watch, alarm company, and Operation ID stickers on entry doors and windows.Real Ones!
- Consider having a dog that can scare a stranger away by either barking or looking fierce.
- Use fencing, gates, landscaping, pavement treatment, signs, etc. to define clear boundaries between your property and adjoining properties.
Home Alarm Systems & Home Security Tips in Omaha
- Consider installing a home alarm system that provides monitoring for burglary.
- A security system at your home or business that triggers an intrusion siren isn’t enough. A high quality home or business security system – supported by around-the-clock alarm monitoring service – gives your home or business the protection it needs. Whether you’re at that location or away, we give you the confidence of knowing we are prepared and dedicated to quick response when police, fire, or medical assistance is needed.
- Smart Security Panels – No landline needed: home security monitoring isn’t your standard wired system anymore. Wireless security panels connect your home to your Alarm Response Center.
- Cameras – Add “eyes” to your security system with camera recordings of activity around your home at all times.
- Lock Control. Forget to lock your front door? No problem. You control your home’s locks at any time from your computer, smartphone or tablet.
- Remote Home Management – You in control of your home and security system – all from your smartphone. See with your own eyes that your home is secure. Watch secure live and recorded video of your property at any time on your computer, smartphone or tablet. Security cameras at home are a proven deterrent to break-ins. Receive a captured still image of your property whenever motion is detected. Get text or email alerts with clip or picture attachments to notify you when your cameras record motion activity. Access a searchable library of recorded video clips. Keep track of activity around the house: use your smartphone to see when your child left and returned home from school, see who knocked on your door during the day, or see when packages are delivered.
Carl Jarl Locksmiths | Omaha Locksmith Services
Always use the services of a trusted local Locksmith/Home Security Company. Carl Jarl Locksmiths offers products and services to make your home safe and secure. Your Security is our top priority.
Choose experience and peace of mind. Carl Jarl Locksmith’s prompt and dependable Locksmith service is just a phone call away.
We have been providing full service locksmith and security services to the Omaha community since 1892, and are the #1 choice for your security needs. We realize that trust, honesty and quality service build long lasting relationships. At Carl Jarl Locksmiths, we take our responsibility seriously and understand that security issues are very personal. Your Security is our Business. Contact Carl Jarl Locksmiths